Siemens has been working in Ukraine for several decades. The history of this business cooperation began in the middle of the XIX century. On the eve of Russian-Turkish war there was a need for operational communications between the theater of war in Crimea and Saint Petersburg. Siemens won the contract for laying a telegraph line from Saint Petersburg to Sevastopol via Moscow, Kiev, Odessa, Kherson and Simferopol. Later on Siemens received orders for electrical equipment installation at municipal transport and electric power plants in Kiev, Lvov, Zhytomir, Chernovsty, as well as equipping telephone exchanges in Odessa and Yekaterinoslav (at present – Dnepropetrovsk).
Siemens also assisted in building the South-West railways – as early as in 1897 the first stations were equipped with Siemens electric alarm systems. In 1925 a fire protection system – the one that has been in operation until quite recently – was installed in the Odessa Opera Theater. In 1927–1932 Siemens actively participated in construction and equipping of the Dniprovska HPP near the city of Zaporozhye – the major project of that time.