Telegraphen-Bau-Anstalt von Siemens & Halske (Siemens & Halske Telegraph Company) was founded in October 1847 by the former artillery officer Werner von Siemens (1816–1892) and mechanical engineer Johann Georg Halske (1814–1890). In a short period of time it became the world’s leading electric engineering company. The pointer telegraph machine for long-distance message transmission became the basis for their business. Preceding the teletype invention the pointer telegraph marked advances on the road towards telecommunications and alarm technologies. In 1866 Werner von Siemens discovered the dynamoelectric principle and thus founded electronics – one of the major spheres of his entrepreneurial activity.
Business strategy of Werner von Siemens was initially focused on international cooperation. With the lack of state contracts from Prussian government the company had lived on international contracts for a long time. Most of orders were performed outside Germany. Werner’s brothers were also involved in business activities: since 1850 Wilhelm (1823-1883) headed the company’s representative office in London and Carl (1829-1906) was sent in 1853 to Saint Petersburg to head the Siemens bureau there. In some cases representative offices abroad were developing faster than the head office in Berlin. Nowadays, the international character of Siemens business is mainly determined by the entrepreneurial style of its founder.
Siemens has been working in Ukraine for several decades
Siemens has been working in Ukraine for several decades. The history of this business cooperation began in the middle of the XIX century. On the eve of Russian-Turkish war there was a need for operational communications between the theater of war in Crimea and Saint Petersburg. Siemens won the contract for laying a telegraph line from Saint Petersburg to Sevastopol via Moscow, Kiev, Odessa, Kherson and Simferopol. Later on Siemens received orders for electrical equipment installation at municipal transport and electric power plants in Kiev, Lvov, Zhytomir, Chernovsty, as well as equipping telephone exchanges in Odessa and Yekaterinoslav (at present – Dnepropetrovsk).
Siemens also assisted in building the South-West railways – as early as in 1897 the first stations were equipped with Siemens electric alarm systems. In 1925 a fire protection system – the one that has been in operation until quite recently – was installed in the Odessa Opera Theater. In 1927–1932 Siemens actively participated in construction and equipping of the Dniprovska HPP near the city of Zaporozhye – the major project of that time.
The new page of Siemens history in Ukraine
The new page of Siemens history in Ukraine was opened in 1992. Just a year after the Ukraine’s independence was proclaimed, in autumn 1992 the Siemens representative office in Ukraine was open. In summer 1997 the subsidiary Siemens Ukraine company was founded to carry out business activities on the territory of Ukraine. The success story of this company continues today.
You are changing from the tablet to the classic version. Do you want to proceed?